Blog-up, Blog-down and other Adho-Mukh ups

Friday, June 09, 2006

Hi!

So this is my first ever blog post!

I'll explain briefly what I'm wanting to acheieve in my little corner and then you can decide whether it's something that interests you or whether it's about as captivating as styrofoam and makes you want to stick pins in your own eyes. If it's the latter I want to make clear from the beginning that I take no responsibility for injuries obtained as a result!! If it's the first one then that's cool, although a few cuts and grazes when really digging that funky Yoga groove are inevitable:)

So, where did my interest in Yoga come from and why am I blogging?

I started Yoga about 2 years ago at a local Adult Education College. I had no previous experience although my mum had been going to a (Hatha) class for about 8 years and wanted to try it out myself. It has exceeded my expectations at least a thousand times over, and owe a great debt to my teacher whose unique style of teaching is hugely motivating, humourous, knowedgeable, and, oh yes- RANDOM! :) The classes are structured more like workshops which enables us to experience the benefits of the posture directly and gain a deep understanding of the mechanics of the human body which is the fascinating bit. This is where you start to see yourself as a work of art in progress! To further strengthen our understanding of our strengths and weaknesses in any given posture we work predominantly with partners to facilitate the stretch. Depending on the stretch, this can be the source of much amusement! So there you go, that's my class, and the sheer craziness I signed up for two years ago.

Now to the blogging part. Basically I've reached the point in my own practice where I'm ready to get down to the real nitty gritty and make that commitment to practising everyday in addition to my weekly class described above. A couple of weeks back I did just that, and practiced for about an hour each day- I learnt more about myself and my yoga during that time than I'd learnt for ages and that got me thinking. What if I could share those musings and insights with other people...and they could do the same? We could exchange ideas about what to incorporate into our own personal practices, have a sneaky peak into what other people around the globe are getting up to, share things that work and things that have failed miserably and just generally chuck ideas around until we find something that works.

~~~At this point I'd just like to emphasise that I want this blog thing to be open to anyone and everyone- even if you've never been to a class in your life but where inspired by James Nesbitt making a tit of himself during Viribdrahasana III in the Yellow Pages ad, that's fine! There's also bound to be many people with a lot more experience than me, so please do come and join in. I promise it shall not be pearls cast before swine!~~~

So if you fancy becoming an explorer into the world of Kick-asana yoga, you've found your niche.

BendyGirl

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A beautifully written, positive blog! Infectious even! Keep up the good work Lisa.
Moggy

Monday, 15 January, 2007

 
Blogger BendyGirl said...

Hi Moggy,

I'm glad you're finding it interesting to read so far! As you can probably see, my last proper post was way back in the summer but I'm hoping to jump right back into practising again soon. (I'll be writing a post about being 'on a break' from Yoga actually, cos I think that's something that happens to us all at times) but...I've planned the next few postures in the yoga alphabet and I'm going to get the info and pictures up soon...so hang on tight!

Do you practise Yoga yourself? Feel free to get posting your musings on the postures and philosophy once I pull my finger out and get started!

BG x

Tuesday, 16 January, 2007

 
Blogger yoga dude said...

looks like there is a long time between postings. just discovered blog and looking for one where yoga is discussed. the idea of sharing ideas would be a great way to keep my classes fresh.

how do we begin?

Tuesday, 10 July, 2007

 
Blogger BendyGirl said...

Hi Yoga Dude,

Welcome!!

Firstly, I apologise for not approving your comment for a few days, and secondly for not keeping this blog up-to-date! This past year has absolutely sped by, and I haven't made the time for regular practice for a year *hangs head in shame*

However, the good news is that I'm aiming to put up 3 or so postures over this weekend and that should give us somewhere to start from. I'm also going to jot some thoughts down about why we break away from yoga practice and explore my own reasons for doing so...hopefully that should give anyone in a similar situation a kick up the as*ana to start again!

As for contributing, you are very welcome to share your insights into the various postures I (will soon have) completed so far. Photos are always a good starting point, in fact I'm thinking of picking a particular posture I find challenging and posting pics every month or so to see if I've improved...again, any tips or useful gems you have would be brilliant.

Once I get this properly up and running, I hope to get it working so that we can all help each other with our postures, and bounce around ideas that will enrich our practices- everyone does things differently and teachers all teach us in different ways, let's share the best of what we each have!

Friday, 13 July, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home